Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mental - A TV Series

I watched the premiere of Mental last night on FOX network. To be honest, I had no idea what to expect. Like any TV series it had its good and bad points.

The acting was over-acting and the writing was heavy. I felt spoon fed the entire episode. In many ways the show felt typical of all medical dramas: the earnest residents, the slick doctor in bed with the drug companies more than the patients, the well intentioned hospital director, and - ultimately the show's hero - the good and caring doctor. It was both familiar and predictable.

However, the content, a focus on mental illness is new. Was it realistic? No. Was it filled with stereotypes and common misconceptions that made it all shiny and glossy? Yes. Was it better than most? Absolutely.

The protagonist, Jack Gallagher, was truly patient centred, and his message of empowerment and involvement was welcomed. He even used the word 'recovery.' The patient in the main storyline was not demonized, despite seeing demons, and there was an effort to contextualize experience.

I'm going to keep watching. I'm going to tell others to check it out. I am grateful to have a TV series that begins to tell stories and shed a new light on a topic that has been hidden for far too long. It may not be the best TV, but it is TV that will make me stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment